a. the undying love for land
b. the unbrekable sirit of the woman
c. the ego she has
d. a story built around a woman and her love for life
am sure you must ve guessed by now. for those who havent, here is another clue
e. the romance of rhett butler and scarlet o hara set in the back drop of american civil war.
yes, Gone With the Wind. 'a novel which you can identify with in different ways at every phase of your life', said someone i know. I believe it is true.
this wonderful book took the author 10 years to complete and was the only book she wrote. The undercurrent of romance is just one part of the book. i remember this book not for the romance but for the indomitable will exhibited by scarlett, for the casual elegance and passion exuded by rhett, for the rolling red fields of tara and for the picture it portrays of the civil war and the culture of the southern states of america back then.
the description of the clothes, the feelings of scarlett, the soldiers, the food they eat, tara (the house), the 'darkies', the ruins of atlanta, the fear in each one s heart, scarletts dreams, the ride to Tara when atlanta fell, the warehous, the convicts, wade, bonnie, the horse ridees, scarletts wish to be like her mother, grandma robillard, the dark oh so many many beautiful descriptions of life.
I wouldnt call this a man's book, definitely has a woman's touch to it but worth reading by all (if you have the patience to read 1024 pages).
i am reading the book for the 'n'th time now..i wish i could just find more and more such books which i dont tire of reading, ever.
6 comments:
hey deepa!
what a coincidence. my friend and i spoke about the book over an entire around the lake walk...even i feel like reading my bible :D
the other good parts of the book is that it is so picturesque..i still remember the apple green taffetta and black bombazine description of clothes..tehhehe
aparna:
oh yes, the apple green taffetta:)i remember that. I also remember that that book was a gift t u by ur ma for ur birthday n the first time i read it was ur book only.
One of the books that stayed with me long after I read it.
I remember reading it over two nights, and what an imagery it left behind.
Hey...I came here just by chance and it couldnt have been better that the first post I read is about my favorite book! I have read it'n' number of times too...since 1998 to be specific. The book is such a wonderful peek into a world that is forgotten and YET offers us a view of the eternal desire of the spirit to break free from social norms, to love, to want what one cannot have, to fight against all odds....phew! Thank you for acknowledging this wonderful book on your blog. And Rhett Butler is the most audaciously irresistible character I have come across :)
"'A novel which you can identify with in different ways at every phase of your life"
Could not agree more cos of the three times I have read have had a different reflections:)
anil P:
i can imagine:)
J:
another lover of 'gone with the wind':)ah rhett, the irresistible, socially repulsive, incurable romantic, a real rascal.
thanks for you comment. keep visiting
pavan kunch:
glad it means the same to someone else:)
Post a Comment