Friday, September 1, 2023

Moments In Time

Peace seems so elusive these days. There is always something running in the mind. It is chaotic mostly. Today amidst the chaos a thought screamed out loud enough for me to jump into action “it has been long since you wrote”. 

When I say I jumped into action it means I consciously made my thought jump from this to something else. Once upon a time I used to go to bed and stay up just dwelling on some good moment. Now all I do when I get into bed is black out..well not exactly black out but that’s how it feels (though the blissful sleep is interrupted by loud snores from the husband or the music created by my teeth-grinding son.)

Today, after long, I was forced to put my son to sleep with no one else at home to help out with the task. I was shocked when there was this moment, a teeny weeny moment of… silence, stillness- within and without.

It was a moment when there was no other thought except the song I was singing, its thaalam, my voice and T. There was no other thought, absolutely nothing- no thought of what to cook, what is the new status of so and so, has someone messaged, did I lock the door, did I hear a creepy noise coming from the balcony nothing. It was like a stolen treasure, a drop of water on parched land, a moment with no noise. Just stillness brought by rhythm from the soul. 

That moment was something so special. It refreshed me beyond words. It was a pause in the chaos, a clearing among the trees where the sun shone bright, a moment of respite that was unexpected but much needed. A brief pause before we continue.

Then….the moment passed. It’s beauty was rudely interrupted by this urge to capture that moment. It was like bringing out the camera to capture the view without giving enough time to enjoy the fact that you have scaled the peak. 

That thought brought me here, to the space I have not frequented in a long while. here I am now writing about a moment suspended in time when I felt completely at peace. A moment  that touched an unreachable place in my heart and rang a gong there. A moment that these words I hope will make eternal. I wanted to snatch more such moments which made me think of other times when I have experienced this bliss.

Here they are (these are not in order nor are they exhaustive…I hope)

  • Watching the rain 
  • Listening to black and white movie songs
  • Singing my son to sleep
  • Getting a hug that says ‘i am there for you’
  • Reaching for a comfort book 
  • Observing fish swimming around
  • Getting a kiss on the cheek from a baby

 What are your moments of peace?

1 comment:

dharmabum said...

My morning routine, being in the mountains and driving / riding alone :)