Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Thulasi

The thulasi had grown very big occupying too much space. We had to pull her out to make space for the others. Her seeds had spread to an empty pot nearby where she was reborn. We let her have the entire pot to herself. I watered her, her friends and siblings everyday without fail. I noticed many of her seeds discarded even if I did not water her for a day.

So there came a day when I went out of town and my neighbour forgot to water thulasi for 2 days. I checked upon her as soon as I entered the house as I had grown quite fond of all the greenery in my balcony- the only house with a small private garden. There are days when I feel proud that I am doing my bit to the world by growing some plants in a place which is considered to have the lowest green cover in India.

My heart sank, that day I returned home, to see her all wilted. She had shed most of her leaves and the remaining ones were a dull shade of green. Her luster had gone and she was having her death chores. I immediately fed her some water. I said a quick prayer for her and cursed myself for not following up with the neighbour to see if my baby had been watered. Then I was off to work.

I returned after 8 hrs to see her standing upright with her leaves awake and alive. She was telling me ‘You thought I was dead? Ha! Caught you!’ She fought for her life. She was still weak yes, but she was bravely recovering from what must have probably been a traumatic experience for her.
Her colour and luster is not still very good. I don’t think she will ever go back to being what she was. But she serves me as a reminder. Reminder to be a survivor despite the odds!

No comments: